Made for Mom

Sunday, May 12, 2013




I love holidays. Especially the ones where you get to spend the entire day with loved ones. Mother's day was no different and it allowed me to spoil my mom. We went to the movies as a family, and then made dinner at home. I contributed with dessert spending most of my effort reducing the port my family makes at our winery into a sauce that went over angel food cake, strawberries and homemade whipped cream.


Port Reduction Recipe (adapted from epicurious)

Ingredients:

2 cups tawny port
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons cornstarch

Directions: 

Stir port and sugar in a heavy small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves.
Increase the heat to med-high and boil until the mixutre is reduce to 1 cup (roughly 13 minutes).
Mix the water and cornstarch in a small separate bowl, whisk into port reduction and continue to boil until slightly thickened, remembering to stir constantly for about 1 minute.
Let cool and serve. (**Can also be made the day before).


Needless to say, it was delicious, and worth the extra effort.


How did you spend mothers day? 

Siobhain

5 comments:

  1. Yummy this looks delicious! I should make it soon.


    -Vogue&Heels
    www.vogueandheels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot easier than it seems. I definitely recommend it as a quick way to fancy up a simple dessert!!


      Delete
  2. That looks delicious. I think my mom would love this! Thanks for sharing!

    I'd love for you to stop by and check out my latest blog post.
    http://fashboulevard.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! Sometimes I think my mom is super easy to impress but my dad went to culinary school and is a very good cook so when she had high praise for this dish I felt really proud

      Delete
  3. Looks amazing! Yum! xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

The Hapa Girl All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger