2013 Eat Real Fest

Monday, September 30, 2013


There are so many events in the Bay Area on the weekends that it can be really overwhelming to decide what to do. It is definitely a good problem to have, but a dilemma nonetheless because no one can be everywhere at once (Even though most of the time I really really want to be).

When I stumbled on the website for Oakland's annual Eat Real Festival I pretty much knew without a sprinkle of doubt how I was going spending my day off. It didn't take long to get my man on board with the plan to eat food all day, and the next morning we gassed up the car, ate the smallest of small breakfasts, and drove down the road to ye old oak town.

Neither of us had really spent much time in Oakland, with the exception of a couple of shows at the Fox Theater and several A's games, so we weren't really sure what to expect. We were definitely surprised by Jack London Square and had the best time walking around trying all the different things people were offering at the event.

Eat Real Fest showcased so many talented artisans from the Bay Area and it was such a blast getting to try a bite from several places I had been wanting to try all in one go.

Chicken and waffles from Soul Groove, something I'd never really thought to try before but Jon insisted I take a bite, and it sure was delicious!
Carne empanada with the most perfect pastry and filling from Porteno SF.
Onigiri Nasu (eggplant rice ball) from Onigilly, which was HANDSDOWN my favorite thing of the day with all its delicious umami flavors.
Enjoying a peachy-minty-bourbony cocktail in an ultra hip - resusable - keepsake - mason jar.

A very large and impressive paella from Ñora Spanish Catering that we weren't sure we would like because we are very spoiled with Spanish Cuisine because Jon's mom is originally from there.

See all that black stuff? That's the crispy rice from the bottom of the pan, and it's the best part. The paella was actually really delicious and had big chunks of braised lamb shank, crispy pancetta, peas, garbanzo beans and all around yumness!

I hope you all took home some good memories over the weekend and indulged just a little, because I know I did!

Cheers! 
Siobhain

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The Hapa Girl All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger