Faux Benedict with Summer Squash

Sunday, September 22, 2013





I love eggs. I love them when they're runny and poached and oh-so-delicate. I love them with toast. I love them for breakfast. I love them for lunch. I even love them for dinner.

I make so many egg things, I would call myself an egg-spert (har har). Poached eggs, are without question my favorite way to have eggs. It's so simple, but it's so complex. I remember I wasn't able to poach eggs until I was like 22 or something. Which means I've only been able to have them poached at home for two years.

I finally picked up a copy of Jacques Pepin's "Complete Techniques," and learned step by step the best way to poach an egg. It's harder than it looks you guys. It's not easy for anyone without egg-sperience (too much?) and if you put the egg in too soon, or too late it gets messy. Instead of perfect little ghosts floating in water you get weird white chunky clouds and broken yolks. It's not pretty. I've even tried to follow recipes online with great failure... I don't know why but Pepin's book explains things much more clearly for me. (And genuinely if you have questions about any recipe he'll show you the way to make almost anything! This book has your answers!)

This is an easy breakfast I like to make for myself in the summer (or I guess technically the fall too since it's September now) in lieu of a heart stopping eggs benedict. I rely on the creamy yolk to create a "sauce" for the onions and zucchini which is caught by the crispy english muffin. I can't get enough.

The stuff:
(Serves 1) 

1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
2 eggs 
1/2 tbsp olive oil

1 small zucchini sliced thinly (use either a mandolin or a peeler-- whatever you have on hand)
1/2 small onion sliced
1 english muffin

How:
First, in a medium saucepan on medium heat add olive oil until shimmering. Then add the onions and cook until lightly browned but not carmelized and add shaved zucchini and cook until lightly browned. (Add a pinch of salt to taste)

Toast english muffin to desired setting.

While you are waiting for the onions to brown, fill a medium pot with water about 3/4 of the way. Over medium-high heat bring to a boil. Once water is boiling reduce to a simmer and crack eggs on a flat surface and open with both hands into simmering water as closely as possible (without touching your fingers to the water, obviously). Do this again with the second egg as quickly as possible to keep the cooking times relatively close together.

While the eggs finish cooking, butter your english muffin and cover each piece with onion and zucchini mixture.

Remove the eggs from the water one at a time with a slotted spoon, and place each one on top of each slice of muffin. Add salt and pepper to finish, and enjoy.



How do you prefer your eggs in the morning? 

Siobhain 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The Hapa Girl All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger